GENERAL SAFETY GUIDELINES
Safety never takes a day off and neither should you. Please take the following guidelines seriously, whether you’re a beginning reloader or an experienced veteran.
NEVER substitute smokeless powder for black powder or for black powder substitutes.
NEVER mix together any two powders, regardless of type, brand, style or source.
YOU MUST OBSERVE THESE PRECAUTIONS:
- DO NOT smoke when reloading.
- DO NOT use spark-producing tools.
- DO NOT mix powders of different kinds.
- DO NOT leave powder where children can get it.
- DO NOT try to load when distracted.
- Avoid an open fire or working near spark-producing machinery.
- Pour out only the amount of powder needed for immediate work.
- Check the powder measure each time it is used. Make sure the settings have not been accidentally changed. Check-weigh "thrown charges" frequently.
- Clean up any spilled powders. Use a brush and dustpan; do not use a vacuum cleaner. Dispose of spilled powder as described in the SAAMI pages of this Guide.
- Store powder only in its original container, which was carefully designed for this usage. DO NOT REPACKAGE. Do not purchase or accept any Alliant powder not in its original, FACTORY-SEALED container.
- Be sure the powder container is completely empty before discarding. Do not use the container to store other powders or materials, or for any other purpose.
- Always keep in mind that smokeless powder is an explosive material and highly flammable. It should always be stored and handled in such a way as to avoid impact, friction, heat, sparks, or flame.
- Wear safety glasses when reloading.
- This material contains nitroglycerin. Inhalation, skin contact, or ingestion may cause severe headache, nausea, and lowering of blood pressure.
Return to Top